The allium is a superb flower, well known for its very decorative flower spikes.
In summary, what you need to know:
Name : Allium giganteum
Family : Liliaceae
Type : Perennial
Height : 20 to 100 cm
Exposure : Sunny
Soil : Ordinary
Flowering : May to July
Easy to grow, it is perfect in beds or in pots and planters to adorn terraces and balconies.
The allium giganteum is planted in the fall about 10/12 cm deep in light soil.
- The allium likes sunny situations
- The soil should be light and well drained, even poor
A good benchmark to know the depth of planting is to multiply the size of the bulb by 3. If it is 5 cm high you will therefore plant it at 15 cm.
- Proceed in groups of 10 to 15 bulbs to create beautiful splashes of color.
- Space each bulb about 20 cm apart.
- Find our tips for planting bulbs
- Know how to plant bulbs in flooded or clay soil
Caring for an Allium
The maintenance of the allium is very simple as the care to bring to this bulbous perennial is limited.
In the ground or in a pot , you will enjoy its beautiful flowering without having to worry too much about it.
- Cut off faded flowers as you go, cutting the stem as close to the ground as possible.
- Cut the foliage only when it has yellowed because this is when it builds up its reserves for the next flowering.
- No fertilizer input is necessary.
It should be noted that the leaves of the allium tend to wilt before or during the flowering of the large umbels and that it is therefore interesting to plant ground-covering perennials at the base in order to cover the withered leaves and leave only the stem protruding.
For the culture of the allium in pot , do not forget to water regularly because the needs in water are more important because of the rapid drying of the ground in pot.
To know about the allium
Allium is a perennial that grows relatively easily and will give very pretty purplish blue flowers that can reach 20 to 30 cm in diameter.
Native to Europe and Asia, ornamental garlic belongs to the same genera as edible garlic species but also as onion , shallot , chives and from the same family as leek
The different species all have superb flowers gathered in balls whose size and color vary according to the variety.
In beds or borders, but also along a wall or as an isolated tuft, the decorative effect of this plant is guaranteed!
- The allium giganteum , thanks to its beautiful height, is perfectly suited to the bottoms of massifs
It is also used in bouquets because the foliage and the flowers form magnificent bouquets.